Từ điển Oxford Advanced Learner 8th|
over·all AW [overall overalls] adjective, adverb, noun
adjective BrE [ˌəʊvərˈɔːl] ; NAmE [ˌoʊvərˈɔːl] only before noun
including all the things or people that are involved in a particular situation; general
•the person with overall responsibility for the project
• There will be winners in each of three age groups, and one overall winner.
•an overall improvement in standards of living (= affecting everyone)
• When she finished painting, she stepped back to admire the overall effect.
overall adj. only before noun
•One person will have overall responsibility for the project.
global • • across-the-board • • general • • broad • • inclusive • • umbrella • • blanket • |BrE all-round • |AmE all-around • |finance gross •
the/a/an overall/general/broad context/heading
a/an overall/general/umbrella title
•The person with overall responsibility for the project will be Paul.
•There will be winners in each of the three age groups, and one overall winner.
•When she finished painting, she stepped back to admire the overall effect.
adverb BrE [ˌəʊvərˈɔːl] ; NAmE [ˌoʊvərˈɔːl]
1. including everything or everyone; in total
• The company will invest $1.6m overall in new equipment.
2. generally; when you consider everything
• Overall, this is a very useful book.
Summing up an argument
In conclusion ▪, the study has provided useful insights into the issues relating to people's perception of crime.
▪ Based on this study, it can be concluded that ▪ the introduction of new street lighting did not reduce reported crime.
To sum up ▪, no evidence can be found to support the view that improved street lighting reduces reported crime.
▪ The available evidence clearly leads to the conclusion that ▪ the media do have an influence on the public perception of crime.
The main conclusion to be drawn from ▪ this study is that public perception of crime is significantly influenced by crime news reporting.
This study has shown that ▪ people's fear of crime is out of all proportion to crime itself.
▪ Fear of crime is out of all proportion to the actual level of crime, and the reasons for this can be summarized as follows ▪. First…
Overall ▪ / In general ▪, women are more likely than men to feel insecure walking alone after dark.
Language Banks at ↑emphasis, ↑first, ↑generally
noun BrE [ˈəʊvərɔːl] ; NAmE [ˈoʊvərɔːl]
1. (BrE)countable a loose coat worn over other clothes to protect them from dirt, etc
• The lab assistant was wearing a white overall.
2. overalls (BrE) (NAmE cov·er·alls)plural a loose piece of clothing like a shirt and trousers/pants in one piece, made of heavy cloth and usually worn over other clothing by workers doing dirty work
•The mechanic was wearing a pair of blue overalls.
compare ↑boiler suit
3. overalls (also ˈbib overalls) (both NAmE) (BrE dun·garees)plural a piece of clothing that consists of trousers/pants with an extra piece of cloth covering the chest, held up by strips of cloth over the shoulders
See also: ↑bib overalls ▪ ↑coveralls ▪ ↑dungarees
▼ Từ liên quan / Related words
Related search result for "overall"